How to Practice Safe Stress
Moving into a new home, increase in financial obligations, under a lot of pressure, or a loss of a job are events we face in life. examples of stress can be triggered. Dr. E. Christine Moll, a mental health counselor, notes that these life stresses are demands that can trigger stress.
“When stress is at its peak, it’s hard to stop and regroup”, said Dr. Moll. “Take steps to help prevent normal seasonal depression from progressing into chronic depression”. She suggests the following strategies:
- Acknowledge your feelings.
- Seek support. From family and friends or community, religious, or social services. Consider volunteering at a community or religious function. Getting involved and helping others can lift your spirit and broaden your social circle.
- Be realistic. Things do not always stay the same. Find new ways to connect.
- Set differences aside. Try to accept family members and friends as they are, even if they do not meet expectations. Set aside grievances until a more appropriate time for discussion.
- Learn to say no.
- Keep up your healthy habits. Make time for exercise.
- Take a breather. Make some time for yourself even if it’s just 15 minutes alone. Take a walk, star gaze, listen to music. Read a fascinating book. Slow your breathing and restore calm.
- Rethink resolutions. Don’t resolve to change your whole life to make up for past excess. Instead, try to return to basic, healthy lifestyle routines. Set smaller, more specific goals with a reasonable time frame.
- Seek professional help if you need it. Talk with your doctor or a member of your company’s EAP for a referral to a mental health counselor.
How to Counteract the Stress Epidemic
People felt less stress, were happier at work, and more satisfied with their overall wellness when they incorporate regular massage as part of their lifestyle.
Massage is America’s most popular wellness service, and by a huge margin. Whether you seek massage as an individual client or workplace wellness, consider Oasis Therapy as your service provider. Call us today at 623.698.5236.