Therapeutic massage is manual manipulation of soft body tissues (muscle, connective tissue, tendons and ligaments) “aka” musculoskeletal” to enhance and/or restore a person’s health and well-being. Therapeutic massage blends different massage techniques like:
- Effleurage (Stroking) — Main uses are at the beginning or end of a massage or as connecting or linking movements.
- Petrissage — Deeper strokes applied by the fingers, thumb or heels of a hand. Kneading, picking up, wringing and rolling are all forms of petrissage.
- Tapotement — Used for stimulating and toning an area. Forms of this technique include cupping and hacking, among others.
- Frictions — Applied on the surface tissue, these are rubbing movements on the skin.
- Vibrations — Generally used to relieve fatigue and pain, these movements can help cure a certain area, creating a natural sedative.
What does this mean for you?
When you receive a massage from Oasis Therapy, your experience will be different every time.
What is more, these massage techniques offer proven responses within the body in ways like:
- the nervous system
- the muscular system
- the circulatory system
A therapist can feel the condition of the underlying tissue and adapt the treatment accordingly, through their palpation skills. Different manipulation techniques are chosen for the effects they produce, which may be superficial, deep, stimulating or soothing.
Every massage therapist has a different style. At Oasis Therapy, your massage session will be customized to match your body’s need.